Thursday, November 22, 2012

Well said, Marcus

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts. Marcus Aurelius

So I was talking with my dear friend and she encouraged me to share some thoughts I've been having lately. We have been going through similar situations and I shared my thoughts with her. After, she said I should share it with others because you never know when you could help someone else out, especially when so many people have helped me in return without even knowing it.  So to quote Shelby: "You have a gift, and sometimes our answers can bless the masses. Which is so cool." I hope I can help someone with my thought process. Even if it's just helping myself by sharing. I know I'm not perfect in dealing with my fellow men, but I'm trying and here are the thoughts that have been swimming in my head lately as I've been trying to sort out some feelings and situations.

One thing I've been studying lately is that each of our lives are God's. No one besides us and Him knows completely what we need for ourselves. Others can see one part of the story but may not know all the details. The thing that's really hard is being okay that they think those things because you can't change THEM either. You know and God knows what the real story is, and if you feel good about your choices, then keep walking down that path.

There have been a couple instances in my life where I have been worried about the choices that people I love had made. From my personal experiences, I have learned that pure happiness comes from being close to God and doing my best to serve Him and I felt that they needed this more in their lives. I realized that I didn't know that full story and I still don't.

I became judgmental and even disliked their character and thought the worst of them...that is where I went wrong. I let Satan in my head and heart and I allowed him to make me look down on the people I loved. Satan tried to twist my righteous desires into bitterness. I tried so hard to fight these feelings and to feel pure love like Christ--who has been wronged by every single person that He loves (aka every single person ever) and yet He still loves them entirely. And I wanted so badly to change the situation of those I love and help them lean more on the Gospel but I can't tell them to do that or else they won't see me as a friend and feel I was judging them. And I never want to make someone feel judged.

True, Satan tempts me to judge others, but I must remind myself that it is not my place. Plus, since when did judging others get anyone anywhere? Loving others is the only progressive action. Judging others only causes more damage. So all I can do is be an example and hope they will see the blessings of centering life around the Gospel. I thought that they were seeking things that were a bad influence. But I don't know the whole story and I trust their judgment enough that they know how they need to be close to God. And I'm not saying they are bad people at all, I'm just saying I don't know everything that goes on so I can't make judgement on their situation. All I can do is trust them and love them and back them up 100% no matter what happens. Even if they get hurt.  And I've learned the reverse of this situation. Not to let anyone's judgement get you down, because they don't know the whole story about you. Only you and God know.

So, what's the antidote for judging? For feeling alone? Forgotten? Unsure about how to be happy in China for 4 months without family, friends and American food? CHARITY. It "never faileth." (1 Corinthians 13:4-8) It's all about love, people. Everything is about love. How else did Harry Potter become the Boy Who Lived? Lily loved him so much she sacrificed her life for him--I HAD to include that reference. But the evidence of the power of love is everywhere! So, let's color our thoughts with love so that our souls (body and mind, spirit and heart) can be beautiful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment